Saturday, March 24, 2012

Liking Who You Are

I was crossing a parking lot with my daughter one evening last week, and she said something completely out of the blue that almost stopped me in my tracks.

Walking beside me, she simply stated, "I like who I am."

As I said, it was a comment from left field. We weren't discussing self esteem or anything like it. We weren't talking about ourselves or anyone else. In fact, we'd just dropped off her brother at volleyball and I think my most recent comment might have been along the lines of, "What in the world are we going to do for dinner?"

So it was something that bubbled up on its own from somewhere inside her. And it made me so happy. Because, really, is there anything more fundamental to a happy life? Are there really more important dreams that we have for our kids?

Yes, I want her to do big things. To be smart and successful and generous and kind. But I think that those things are more likely to flow from a positive self-image. From a contentment with herself and what she brings to the table.

I'm not naive, and I know that she'll have to navigate the hormonal and situational pitfalls of her pre-teen and teenage years eventually. And we all know that even adults have insecurities and suffer self-doubt. The road won't always be easy, by any means. But my heart is warmed by the idea that she is off to a good start.

Photobucket

No comments:

About Me

My photo
San Luis Obispo, California
I'm a Central Coast mother of three offering customized photography services to families in the San Luis Obispo area. For more info, please contact me at erin@erinclausenphotography.com.