Thursday, September 24, 2009

E's Room Makeover

When my Sunday afternoon session rescheduled, I took advantage of a little breathing room in my schedule, and I dove into a project I'd been thinking about for awhile: giving E's room a makeover.

There were no drastic steps to take -- the furniture was all pretty much going to stay exactly the same -- but the project involved some pretty detailed painting and a couple of side projects. I hoped that if I just got going, I'd have the momentum to see it through.

I spent Sunday afternoon painting the walls of the room... exactly the same color they were before. Basically, my plan called for painting bold stripes over the already blue walls, but the walls were knicked up and grubby in places and I decided that I needed a fresh canvas. Let me just say that painting a room the same color it already was is about the most unsatisfying thing you can do with your time. (My husband, who was made to paint our old living room the same shade of white that it already was, enjoyed a smirk or two at my expense, I think.)

But once that was done, I got to tackle more interesting things. I painted the aforementioned bold stripes, and I gave a few coats to E's little table and ledges. I put up some cool little decals and hung the photos that I'd had made into float wraps. I highly recommend float wraps -- they're really cool!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then yesterday, I schlepped all over town procuring surf and skate stickers from the local board shops. When E got home from school, we created a little masterpiece to hang over his bed. Shout out to Moondoggie's (like they'd be reading this, right?) who gave me some of the coolest stickers for free.

Photobucket

Photobucket

When we were done, we hung our special piece and E posed a bit. The second shot here is of him doing what he does nine times out of 10 when I ask to take his photo these days.

Photobucket

Photobucket

A few final touches...

Photobucket

Photobucket

And here's the finished room! Complete with a white board on his door for those super important messages. :) He actually had a very grown-up to-do list written (reading log, buy hot lunch, have lunch with teacher...), but he'd erased it by the time I got there with my camera.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Finally! Something I can cross off the to-do list.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
San Luis Obispo, California
I'm a Central Coast mother of three offering customized photography services to families in the San Luis Obispo area. For more info, please contact me at erin@erinclausenphotography.com.